[python] Re: new wooden python in New Zealand

  • From: Dominic Tarr <dominic.tarr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 16:13:12 +1200

Hi everyone,

thanks for your enthusiastic response!

All my material choices have been due to what I have had on hand, for
example, I am using skate bearings and 8mm threaded rod for the pivot.
Although this has broken several times, I have been surprised at how long
it's lasted.

yes, Opusnugen that too is my vision for the wooden python. I want to have
the wheels enclosed in a ply wood shell,
glued with epoxy and then varnished. that should be both light and stiff
(i'm most concerned about the twisting forces on the forward frame as you
pedal right now)

varnishing an epoxy/ply construction is a great aesthetic choice I have
found. the busyness of the wood grain hides any unevenness or
drips that stand out if you painted it a bright colour.

thanks for the tip about the coaster hub, oupa, I'll keep an eye out for
one.

I'm currently trying to decide what to try for a pivot next. I think even if
it use the strongest wood,
it's still gonna fail sooner or later. right now I'm thinking a metal tube,
with either another tube inside to hold the bearings in place, or
to machine out a bit for the bearings, and then hold it all on with U bolts.

cheers. Dominic