[python] new geometry! improvement!

  • From: Ray Schümacher <mtb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 16:39:33 -0700

I changed the original geometry I had
old:
wheelbase: 132cm
pivot: 63
trail: 23.5cm
seat height: 35cm
BB height: 50cm
weight: 18kg
new!
wheelbase: 109cm
pivot: 70
trail: 28.5cm
seat height: 40cm
BB height: 47cm
weight: 16kg
http://rjs.org/gallery/thumbs/May7_000.jpg
More photos at:
http://rjs.org/bent.htm

The improvement in ride-ability is remarkable. I got on, rode down the alley,
turned around in the alley (6m radius) and rode back. The front end does not
need to swing nearly so much side-to-side to make the usual low-speed
adjustments (Jürgen's flop that he complained about on the px*). The smaller
self-centering force (I weigh 91kg) with the 70dg pivot makes slow, tight turns
much easier, and the 23cm shorter wb makes the turn radius much smaller.
The main thing though is the response; the bike is much faster to come back
under the CoG when needed.
I was a bit more careful with welds and alignment this time, and it came out
true the first time. Now, front brakes and shifters and I'm set. I immediately
felt that I would be comfortable commuting with just a little more practice
(and better brakes).
And only another 4 hours!

Funny, though, I still mostly use my hands to steer. Maybe because I never had
any Flevo or unicycle experience.

Ray

PS. I'll try to get some video from the boardwalk soon... ;-)