[python] Re: multilanguage support

  • From: "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:21:43 -0600

hey guys  (and ladies if that is appropriate)  I do a lot more lurking
than speaking up on this forum, which is VASTLY different from my
usual "thing"....but.  I have an interest in other languages.   this
is going to sound odd coming from an "american" since we have the
reputation for being pretty english language centric...but what ELSE
do you expect where it is darned difficult to find people who actually
SPEAK some other language?   In the EU, you can drive 100 miles and
not only be in another country with a different language and
traditions, but it is quite possible that you have transitioned
through a THIRD country!  Around here, I can travel 100 miles and
STILL not be in a different country.  In fact, I wouldn't be out of
the STATE, and hardly encounter someone who speaks something other
than english....unless I count the pakistani guy at the 7-11!   The
nearest "foreign country" is about 400 miles north and THAT is Canada,
where they speak a variation of english that is similar to
"Minnesotian english".  Mexico is over 1000 miles away!

In all honesty, I would LOVE to speak and understand other languages.
Practicing them is a little difficult of course, but i DO know a few
words in German, spanish (well, MEXICAN spanish/spanglish) a tiny bit
of russian and a word or two in Farsi (I was told "persian" at the
time, so it may be a variation of Arabic. I am not knowledgeable
enough to really know) And my friend Hammet can understand me when I
say "Saalam" to him or his dad, Kamal.  (both of whom speak about 5
languages EACH!)

So if you guys don't MIND writing in other languages, and providing a
translation and some help with pronunciation, I would consider it a
favor.  I may not make much progress.  at 54 years old, I am in the
"old dog" category and "new tricks" take some effort.  but if you
help, I will try my best to learn a word or two!

Thanks
Back to pythons!

mark

On Nov 23, 2007 3:32 PM, Rhisiart Gwilym <Rhisiart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Cymraeg should do ;-)
> >
> >On 23.11.2007 22:09, Rhisiart Gwilym wrote:
> >>What, all six....?
>
> Dyna ti 'te, Marek!

Mark  Garvey
Cedar Rapids, Iowa free state!