[python] Re: mounting rear wheel to seat

  • From: George Durbridge <gdurbrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 22 Jun 2006 08:54:49 +1000

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 05:44, Tim k wrote:
> I was contemplating various designs, and came up with a question. If I
> were to build a metal seat, similar to Nobuo's or maybe a Challenge
> seat, could I mount the rear wheel directly to the seat, without any
> other sort of "body" tubing? In other words, could I attach the rear
> triangle/ wheel arms directly to the seat near the shoulders area
> (probably by welding, maybe with bolts)? This would require that the
> front pivot piece be directly attached to the seat as well.
>
> Would a metal seat be strong enough to act as the main body of a bike?
> Do you think it would stand up to the laterial and... um, "twisting"
> torque of normal riding? Would there be any special considers with
> building such a seat?
>
> Such a design seems like it would save some weight.

It should work, depending on the design of the seat and of the brackets
used to connect the other components.  After all, many racing cars and
aeroplanes are built as thin metal shells with high loads fed into them.

The seat should be designed to be rigid, and not to flex, as do some
seats designed to be attached to a stiff frame.  (So the seat will not
provide much springing to the rider.)  It isn't particularly easy to
make a seat a very stiff shell, because the rider's body gets in the
way.  A bucket seat (i.e. one designed to wrap around the rider's body)
may be the stiffest design, particularly if you use curved surfaces and
include some bracing on the outer surface of the seat.

Loads will need to be fed in over as wide an area as possible.  Brackets
mounted to strengthening ribs or braced corners and edges would spread
the load.  If it is designed right, such a seat could be made of very
thin material, probably too thin to weld, so it will have to be riveted
or glued.