[python] Re: minimize rolling resistance, wheels tires air pressure

  • From: Tom <zzed28@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 09:23:23 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Tim for  clarifying that, I had overlooked
the additional idea that taller wheels will fall
less far into rough pavement.  In my area, there
are lots of rough roads, and I know that between
the roughness and the dodging of many bumps with
steering, those roads are slowwwwwwwwwwwww !

 I too have experimented with the wide narrow hi
and low pressure factors.  I find that most tires
can be ridden as high as 120 psi, even 1.75
tires. I am not making a blanket statement, and
dont recommend that anyone else do such a thing,
but its been done, and safely by me in
experiments as well as my usual twenty mile
rides.  Ive even found that the tires that sell
for about six bux at walmart in the twenty by
1.75 can be ridden at a hundred psi when marked
as 45psi on the sidewalls. That particular tire
had a good feel at that pressure and seemed to
roll very nicely, comparable to a comp pool in my
experience.  The comp pool is a favorite of mine
when I cant find a flatter inverse treaded tire.
 The inverse treaded tires from nashbar and
avocet are nice and flat, but I havent tested
them at serious cornering angles at all since I
tend to corner slowly. I usually run tires at a
pressure that causes them to  just barely distort
the sidewall visually when the rider is seated in
position. When putting on a new tire, I have a
helper watch the sidewall closely while I sit on
the bike, then incrementally put air into it,
until the sidewall doesnt distort at all visually
when I sit on the bike, then let 5 psi out and
see if there is any tiny distortion, if so, thats
my riding pressure for that tire.  Ive found that
going to a higher pressure, which produces an
UNdistorted sidewall, generall does make the tire
slightly easier rolling, but tends to make the
tire feel bouncy over the rough stuff.  This is
what works for me with my local loads and roads.
smile.

http://www.ligfiets.net/redactie/meetligfietsengels.pdf