[python] measurements of the dropouts

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:03:53 +0200

Hi,

based on a drawing found on the internet

        http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/porter/porterplans1.htm

and some other measurements from a flevo racer drawing, I came up with the attached drawing for the front dropouts. The distance between the derailleur hole and the hub axle on the drawing is 43mm.

It felt a bit big, and a little tour around town with a gauge in the pocket showed that most of the bicycles had a distance of about 30mm. But I could find one with a distance of 40mm.

Now I am in doubt what to do. Do there exists some "offical" measurements of dropouts? If I shorten the distance between the derailleur hanger hole and the hub hole, must the angle at which the derailleur hole is placed be changed too? Or doesn't it matter much?

Building news: The rear part is done and I have moved to building the front part. And I am using a jig now. It is certainly much better way to work! I feel I am still very slow, but it is a more relaxed way of working. I can now in all calmness assemble and measure the parts and then weld them.

Juergen: taking up a discussion we had a while ago: the steering damper (silent block) of my flevo is broken again. Now I am riding without a damper. I can say riding is *just* as easy as with a damper, and it has nothing to do with my riding skills. But really annoying is the jelly pudding effect of the cycle: I have to hold both front and rear when walking around with the cycle (ouch! my back hurts!). So from my point of view the damper on a flevo is only for walking with the bike.

greets to everybody!
Dirk

PNG image