[python] Re: locking the pivot

  • From: dan chambers <d.chambers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:12:32 +0000

Dear Pythoneers

Locking the pivot would prevent the Python from steering at all, (straight,
fast but very dangerous) wouldn't it?
Leaning on a conventional bike uses the trail of the front wheel to turn. Zero
trail and you have to steer with the
bars, no self-centring, leaning does nothing. Although you're not actively
steering, the wheel is still turned
relative to the plane of the frame to give an arc to follow.

I've seen some of you use a rubber block steering damper, which helps wheel
flop and limits steering extremes. It
can't help with high speed shimmy and oscillations much though. I know they are
very expensive new (300 Euros), but
has anyone tried the oil filled piston steering dampers used on racing
motorbikes to stabilise the front wheel. They
lock against any quick movement but move with steady loading, the opposite of
suspension forks.

All the best

Dan Chambers