[python] Re: locking the pivot

  • From: Florent Balestrieri <florent.balestrieri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:19:25 +0100

Hi Thomas,
could you explain why this would never solve instability? I imagined that by locking the pivot, the bike would be held together in ONE piece, no more wheel flopping. Then the only instability would be that of the bike leaning from side to side but I figured that with speed AND locking, it would be like keeping balance while going fast on a upright bike.

Regards -- Florent

Thomas P Jahn a écrit :
Hey Florent,
a lock on the pivot will never solve the 'instability'. The contrary is the case. Without having the possibility to fine adjust the steering, you would fall over right away.

My personal recommendation: Although some people here have managed to ride the python really fast: if speed is your primary goal, I would recommend another bike. The few people here, that ride the python really fast, have impressed us all. Including Jürgen! That must require a substantial experience.

greetings
Thoms

Hi all, first i present myself: my name is Florent
Balestrieri, I'm a 25 years old french guy, actually living
in Paris. I've got a very serious relationship with my bike
:))) which until now was upright. I'm NOW considering to
make a recumbant bike to ease my ass a little for the
journeys to come... :)

This decision was made after a long Internet session focused
on recumbents, wich ended on Jurgen's website. (by the way,
thank you VERY much for your dedication to this project and
your spirit of sharing and trying to improve your ideas. And
ALSO: i'm very impressed by your french version of the site
very helpful especially for the technical terminology. You
really mastered our language, i'm in awe).

Then followed a period of reading the mailing-list to
understand if the bike was really the one for me. The main
unsolved problem remains that damned speed limitation!!! i'm
a speed addict, riding mainly in the Alpes mountains where i
can enjoy the climbing uphills and flying downhills at mad
speeds.

If I recall well, max-speed is around 65 kmph. And people
reaching that speed confessed that their control on the bike
felt too light or odd or something.

My question is: has anybody ever thought of putting a lock on
the pivot before going downhill? Turning at high speed is
done by leaning anyway.

-- Florent