[python] Re: iLean axles ?

  • From: Vi Vuong <vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 18:58:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paul,

The 16" donor wheels came with only 7mm axles, probably not strong enough for
any cargo. The pedal spindles are much bigger, 12mm at crank, 15mm wrench flat,
and ~18nm overall, so it's at least 3x stronger based on cross-section area
ratio.  Assuming that the pedals are good for 150 lbs (kid), the 7mm axles are
only for 50lbs or less.  The wheel axle is used for the ball bearing cone and
retaining bolt.  The pedal flange actually does not fit the wheel ball bearings
too well, causing some grinding / wobbling.  Some machining would be nice.  If
your donor wheels have 12mm or bigger axles and seal bearings, your idea should
work much smoother.

Vi