[python] Re: hands free braking aka coaster brake component

  • From: Darin Wick <darwin.enderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 22:07:27 -0700

I can't find what I'm thinking of now, but not long ago I saw a photo or
diagram of a backpedal brake that is activated by a ratcheting mechanism on
either the chain or the chainring.  Some sort of arm that would ratchet
along when pedaling forward, but would engage with the chain/chainring when
backpedaling and pull on a cable, which could then actuate any sort of
brake - rim, disc, or drum - though this was a particularly old bike and it
looked like it was using something similar to old rod brakes.  It's
ultimately a variant on what Mike describes in his first post with the
extra freewheel.

A search of the patent database reveals a number of patents that are based
on that concept:
http://www.google.com/patents/US4134481?printsec=drawing&dq=back+pedal+brake&ei=Rb2DT_KPEeSyiQLm1r3fBQ#v=onepage&q=back%20pedal%20brake&f=false
http://www.google.com/patents?id=IH8jAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA7&dq=back+pedal+brake&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Rb2DT_KPEeSyiQLm1r3fBQ&ved=0CD8Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=back%20pedal%20brake&f=false
http://www.google.com/patents?id=s9B1AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA5&dq=back+pedal+brake&hl=en&sa=X&ei=F76DT4rxFqvciQKcounABQ&ved=0CEwQ6AEwCTgK#v=onepage&q=back%20pedal%20brake&f=false

It would be a fun fabrication project!

 If over-tensioning the cable is a problem, something like the
"self-energizing cantilevers" listed at
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/brake_obscura/mtb.html could be a good solution,
if you can find a set.  Or just use a rod instead of the cable, since
presumably the brake will always be in the same position relative to the
crank.