[python] hands free braking aka coaster brake component

  • From: Mike Power <mpower.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:53:19 -0700

I really like the idea of hands free braking. But I do not like the idea of being constricted to the components that support it. As the only components that support it are hubs, and I do not find coaster brake hubs to have all the features I am looking for.

One thought I had was to engage a more traditional brake system (disc brakes, rim brakes) with a reverse in the drive system. Unless you are doing a fixie (in which case you don't want a coaster brake anyway) then reverse pedaling is an unused dimension of the bicycle. Not pedaling at all, and reverse pedaling are no different when it comes to the physical dynamics of the bicycle.

One concept would be to install a free wheel to the left side of the crank. Put a cable or loop of cable on the free wheel and mate the cable to some sort of brake. When you are pedaling forward the crank should be engaging the drive train and the brake freewheel should be slipping. When you are pedaling backward the crank should be engaging the brake system and the drive freewheel should be slipping.

Thoughts? Does something like this already exist?

Mike Power