[python] Re: gyro forces

  • From: Ray Schumacher <mtb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 06:35:49 -0700

At 05:47 AM 10/19/2005, you wrote:

I'm planning to do a web page with this (penny-farthing) visual theme and recently read somewhere that some riders heading down a long hill and gaining speed would abandon the pedals and put their legs over the handlebars in anticipation of a potential crash as it would leave them free to jump unimpeded forward.

If you haven't read it, Around the World on a Bicyle is one of my favs.
http://rjs.org/gutenberg/Stevens_Thomas/
Stevens (a San Francisco wheelman, 1886) would put his feet over, and sometimes rub shoes on, the tire. He describes a lot of "headers"...
I recall that some had mustache handlebars, under the legs, for that reason.

Ray