[python] Re: gyro forces

  • From: "25hz" <25hz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:41:38 -0400

I have ridden two different ones, prior to me starting to actually build
bents, but I can offer the following:
- they weren't as hard to get on as most think, actually getting off
required more effort than on.  Step on the foot peg just above the rear
wheel, push off like a scooter while standing off to the side a little like
a horse, then slide onto the seat, put your feet on the pedals, and you're
rolling.  Sounds tougher than it was.
- steering was fine, in fact, I remember being surprised that it felt like a
normal bike to ride.
- I don't remember any handling problems
- biggest problem was the fear of slamming your face into the ground because
you are so high up and so far forward on the wheel.
- steep hills would be a problem, even leaning way back to move your CoG,
but I didn't ride down a steep hill.
- braking needs to be planned.  One bike had a brake bar on the tire (plus
you could use back pressure), and the other one braked by back pressure on
the pedals (like a unicycle).  I leaned back on both while braking, just to
be safe :)  I imagine emergency stops could hurt . . . a LOT.
- From the geometry of the few I'd seen, I would say they likely had between
2 and 5 cm of trail.
- the longer your legs are, the bigger a front wheel you can use, and the
faster you can go :)