[python] Re: getting a gauge

  • From: RayS <rays@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 07:50:11 -0700

Hi Peter,
I'll chime in..
I tried handlebars in a "normal" recumbent position (over the knees)
http://www.rjs.org/gallery/python_2.jpg
and found the bars completely impossible to use. I welded low bars just in front of the pivot
http://www.rjs.org/gallery/May7_000.jpg
and was able to ride in ~15 minutes. Not only does the rider have to overcome the self centering effect, but also the leg steer; if he uses legs at all you can't use hands to steer easily. Until I learned I always had to consciously choose leg or hand steer - the muscles of the torso need to pull on opposite sides. Trying to do both puts the muscls' control in contention.

Ray

At 04:29 AM 3/22/2010, you wrote:

Hi Pete,

Straight riding should be no problem  ---Jürgen Maier already made such
a bike with rowing input (both using arms and legs).

But the trouble is that turning corners at lower speed requires a lot of
force input to overcome the self centering effect. This is easy using
legs (good leverage), but the force required to turn using arms only,
combined with the small leverage of handlebars is just too high. I have
handlebars on my python and they are only as an aid - for the fine
points as it were - the main steering force comes from the legs.

Like answered in other postings, I too would go for a modified rowing
bike.Your brother would be able to use his torso as an aid in riding .
The advantage would be two-fold: he'd be faster as the really strong
muscles are found in the torso, and he get good excercise in abdomen and
back (<- why I'd like a rowing bike for myself ;-) ).

Dirk

============================================================ This is the Python Mailinglist //www.freelists.org/list/python Listmaster: Jürgen Mages jmages@xxxxxx To unsubscribe send an empty mail to python-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field. ============================================================