[python] Re: getting a gauge

  • From: matthias <matthiaspeter.nowak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 09:16:34 +0100

Peter Davis wrote:
I am bouncing around the idea of building a hand cranked version of the python. as there is no need to steer per se. the crank arm could be used as a kind of a tiller. as i have not as of yet built or even riden a python I am tossing out the idea to you all in an attempt to gauge the feasibility. first off i was thinking synchronized cranks so as to avoid "wobble" while pedaling, more of a rowing motion than a pedaling. anyways what do you all think? is it do able? will it be ride able?

Dear Peter,

my idea why the python is somewhat stable despite the negative trail, is based on the force from the legs. David E.H. Jones has an example (URB IV) that is unstable because of negative trail. But applying a force (centering force by Dirk Bonnie) will make it stable again.

That means, when you row your bike: pushing will make it stable, but pulling will make it unstable. And pulling is far more forceful.
If you have positive trail, then the opposite applies.

I have seen wheelchairs in old east germany, where there was some kind of rowing scheme involved. However steering was done by twisting the handles. Some bowden-track related this twist to the steering wheel.
However, here are we talking about a tricycle, albeit a fast one.

with best regards Matthias