[python] Re: german interview with Herman Regio

  • From: George Durbridge <gdurbrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:26:22 +1100

This is what Babelfish made of it, which tends to bear out Jurgen's
notion that you need to be an expert to translate this material.  You
can get the drift, however, and you will meet some new expressions you
can drop at parties, such as couch-wheel (=recumbent bike).

Hermann HERWIG: Discussion with Herman Reglo over co-ordination and
balance on the couch wheel Flevo bike HERWIG: Mr. Reglo, Sie drive there
a somewhat unusual two-wheeler. Not only that you lie in it as in the
television armchair, it works also altogether somewhat futuristically.
How were you added? REGLO: Before three years I needed times again
another bicycle, and there it should be much a different one. I had
discovered this part in the Mehringhof, Berlin, and had watched, like
someone its 13. Driving attempt thereby made. I did not even get both
feet at the same time from the soil. HERWIG: TC Speaks against engineer
or against the driver? What is so different at this wheel? REGLO:
Reclining seat, front wheel drive, puristic framework, no redundant bar,
which is joint for what normally steuerrohr and fork perform, here under
the Podex attached. One sits over the guidance joint. HERWIG: Then you
steer about with the Podex instead of with the arms! REGLO: That would
be only few exaggerated. The break of this Rades is considerable in the
center. Thus the legs on the front part drive, cannot thus only step,
along-steer but also. I assume, this am the bicycle, with which one
could do earliest without the steering wheel (I refrain times from the a
wheel). I can indeed today free-handle start, continue and...
HERWIG: ... and between them probably free-handle drive and the
newspaper read? For what does the wheel have then still another steering
wheel? REGLO: Clearly nevertheless... Newspaper vintages, dearest the
FAZ. But the wheel has actually no steering wheel in the conventional
sense. These two grasps beside the thighs are there only one place for
the hands, for the brakes and natural for the circuit. Where should one
otherwise thereby? HERWIG: They said at first, the wheel was so
difficult to drive, and now it goes free-handles also nearly completely.
How does that reimt itself? REGLO: I believe, this wheel am those modern
sport or progressive movement devices, which unites ever more functions
in an integrated operating organ. With kite flies are the heights -,
side and aileron functions one - say we - glider by the fact given that
the flier oscillates his mass under the pressure point of the kite. With
the Windsurfen one has also no more pinne and Schot in the hand, but
regulates propulsion, driving direction, counter acting force to the
sail pressure physically seen in the long run only by the change of the
sailing position and the play with the system equilibrium between sail
course and body weight. Also with the Jetten with the Skateboard
balance, direction and propulsion dynamically and are integrated
regulated. If one controls this integrated Lenk-und balance technology,
unexpected kinesthetic impressions open themselves. HERWIG: To ski and
Snowboard something similar applies. The feeling of ease and high
performance particularly adjusts itself if the play of internal and
outside forces in rhythmic swinging can be balanced harmoniously, and
one sequentially in the system equilibrium on the equipment stands.
REGLO: That sounds good. HERWIG: On which way could I come into the
benefit of elevated kinesthetic sensations on your exotic bicycle? Never
in the my life I occurred myself in such a way bloed, how with my first
attempt on their (F)Liegefroh bicycle - and that, although I imagine me
to be wheel sportsmen! REGLO: Troesten it itself! I read you from a test
report over break steer Lieger forwards (see route 10/95, 40): The break
steering wheel to drive "more than only a little is different, it
requires a completely changed driving technology....ist from the usual
wheel driving so far far away like a wheel or high wheel driving... for
necessary driving training should one generously one week vacation take
into account. Perhaps highly gifted Feinmotoriker learns it
schneller"... in the style writes good-trained Rennradler. Different
with this bicycle is - to tie over to the thing with the operating
organs - v.a. the following: One must learn to drive few steering
wheel-stressed. I was condemned at first totally to get all forces from
tearing at the steering bar the counter acting forces for the footstep
in the pedal, guidance forces, putting up steering movements, everything
from the steering wheel! Today I know that the counter acting force
should come to the pedal from the backrest and not by pulling on the
steering wheel. Between bowl seat and schulterblaettern the grip between
bodies and equipment takes place. From the back the counter acting force
comes for pedals, not by pulling on the steering wheel. The effort of
force was at that time immensely, particularly in shoulder belts and
neck muscles. A friendly medicine man thought, I stands before the
infarkt, when he saw me practicing - puterrot in the face and before
effort keuchend. The technical designer, Johan Vrielink attributes the
difficulties with learning his Rades to the habit of steering
wheel-stressed driving. We are accustomed to control everything with
arms and hands. HERWIG: Wohinter hide themselves the adequate
action-adjusting references for the adequate use of the equipment? How
could one help a learning to discover these? Why does the beginner
believe to have to apply so large steering and balancing forces? REGLO:
The construction Flevo bike's with vorderantrieb and central steering
element brings it with itself that with each steering movement
substantial masses are swivelled. That is like that, as if full packing
ashes hang in front on low more rider. That makes the steering element
turning slow-acting. To second the control actuator stands extremely
diagonally, i.e. the wake is very large (50mm). Thus the wheel distorts
itself also so moved in the curve. It is very circle stable, it craves
into the curve and does not want any longer from the curve. It is
everything but agilely, bockig or nervously, as for instance your racing
cycle. It is thus the extreme opposite to the a wheel, whose "control
actuator" stands perpendicularly and whose turning circle and wake zero
cm amount to. HERWIG: The possibilities for balance movements with the
steering element are thus small, and the Unterfahren of the tilting
emphasis seems to be substantially difficult. Why don't you fall down
then always again? REGLO: I adjusted the inclination at first in the
fine tuning more over the speed. If I tilt too strongly inward, I give
gas. Thus centrifugal force increases and puts the system up machine
driver again. At the beginning hangelte myself I therefore also with
brakes and accelerating by the curves. Anyhow one supports thereby - at
first - the enormously slow-acting steering element very effectively,
frequent accelerating makes the thing however for the learning evenly
also strength-robbing. HERWIG: Since we speak now of the equilibrium
regularization, we have the core of the problem in the visor: The
Unterfahren reacts too slowly, instead of its more regularization by
centrifugal force for slope/putting up. How is it with the
gewichtsverlagerung? Do you ship for balancing your koerpermasse
laterally - bend to the left - to the right bend? REGLO: Since one lies
in the bowl seat like a bag rice, is also not much possible there. I
remember that I hectically to the left or right threw at the beginning
of my knees as the only laterally adjustable koerpermasse. In the third
season I discover the possibility only now nevertheless sideways of
moving the torso in the bowl seat. But one needs actually only on bad
ways. HERWIG: They are apparently to a large extent dependent on
praestabilisierte harmony! REGLO: , one could say hectar hectar in such
a way. The antizipierte lane is enough anyhow much further ahead - it
must! - when with the regular wheel, with which one can improve
directly, with that one after-adjusts the lane by feedback. With the
Flevo it helps immensely to ahead-draw over 10-15m the route
mental-visually and align themselves at it. It needs a movement draft
hurrying ahead further, and this "actually praestabilisiert". The in
time focused way - e.g. around obstacles, between
delimitation-pole-learn through or swivel into a curve inside - somehow
causes a good movement shape, which is harmonious and balanced. HERWIG:
Thus your Flevo lies obviously in the middle in the sport-scientific
trend of the cognitive impregnated feed-forward-oriented
action-adjusting generation of guidance large. REGLO: That sounds
impressive. Does one talk today in such a way in the sport science?
HERWIG: For action researchers as CARRY out, LOIBL, KOERNDLE, SCHERER,
THOLEY - I count me also in addition - coin/shape and use these terms,
if over - movement control, - to movement conception, - cognitive
representation and - transfer and learning is. So that - as consequence
- action -, perception and regulationspychologische analyses are
connected for finding suitable methodical arrangements and training
measures. You Flevo bike make also high demands after my impression
against the driving teacher and its methodology authority. REGLO:
Interesting! Perhaps me these beginnings could help with the solution of
the tasks, which I place myself at present, to come out i.e. free-handle
easily from a curve schlangenlinien and respecting to drive. To the
free-handled cornering it helps to anticipate the travelling straight
ahead, which comes to the curve, visual-conception-moderately. That
helps me obviously much with the fact that the wheel without energy
expenditure straightens up apparently like automatically again.
Schlangenlinien failed with me long time because of the fact that they
became looking up Celts, more extreme and uncontrollable. If one
antizipiert the curve change in former times, the amplitude of the sine
queue remains moderato. I asked the technical designer of the Flevo
bikes, Johan Vrielink in Dronten in addition (the whole topic was worth
a excursion to me with my friend Johannes Becker to the Ijssel
ijssel-Polder Flevoland). To the curve change and against overriding in
the curve and demonstrates Mijnher Vrielink guesses/advises simply: Take
the outside shoulder back in slow curves! Thus with the torso into the
curve do not in-rotate. Again completely similar to as when ski running:
anticipazione that intend driving direction again - also in the body
readiness. HERWIG: That points to the high meaning of the anticipation,
which feeds itself from situation perception, movement experience and
feeling and from various experiences of operation effect relations. Then
remains clarifying only, as all this insight in the head mean mute
servant kleinhirn (the kleinhirn saves and stores all motor routine
programs) to bring can to serve me also accordingly. REGLO: The mute
servant cannot we unfortunately interviewen. But you say, what you want
to explorieren in addition! HERWIG: I have there already some questions:
Once to the bicycle, which would have to discover me, what it wants to
have. How does the equipment, which wants it from me, react? Questions
also to someone, which can do it: Which made meet you - before starting,
before curves etc.. Which cheat you for itself developed? To which
reactions of the equipment do you particularly pay attention? Do all tax
movements always proceed from you, or do leave you to the equipment and
do wait themselves simply bisserl too that something from alone happens?
In particular would be also errors and oh so! experiences (motor Aha
experiences) from your own learning process stretching. Do you know
situations, in which the wheel with you makes which it wants? In short:
Which internal pictures and movement conceptions lead today your
successful handling your running couch? With which conceptions did you
strike yourselves during the learning process? REGLO: Internal
conceptions, mh... I had long time the picture, I drive on a tiger back
along, transversetouched, after both sides ever more steeply dropping,
in the center only a narrow trace, on which loosely in the equilibrium
can be driven. If one gets off it, it is laborious to back-course-long
on the center line. Of it the guidance conception remained, actually
calmly and centrically of swinging 'entspannt in here and now ' around
the antizipierte ideal line thus above on the tiger back. I read once
over the Flevobike: "one drives it either relaxed or not at all". I feel
on this wheel completely clearly the fact that ease and harmony agitate
when driving therefore that one relaxes loosely and, surely and the
situation feels grown. The driving capability is reduced noticeably by
Stressoren: A dog, which could bite me into the arm (the arm is at
height of the dog lip, and after it to step I cannot!), a passant, who
emerges in a close passage, each unexpected road user, everything that
can irritate the leaving. Alkene is unfortunately also a Stressor.
HERWIG: Then we should regard it better completely soberly. That lets me
assume that you predominantly drive your Tieflieger holiday on the Aldi
parking lot. REGLO: Thus it also began. One drives at first, where the
wheel drives, and is fills busily to remain at all above. That needs
place. As beginners one lets take away from obstacles completely much
area, much more than "would be objectively" necessary. But one drives
evenly in a subjective, in an experienced area and not in a
Euclidean-metric area. Fear reduces this size. Only authority extends
it, makes more draus, makes often even something else from it. HERWIG:
Yes, under fear and with small authority even the visual area is
reduced. Sometimes perhaps or drove you drive with scheuklappen. How is
in traffic, are safe you? Are others safe before you? I see rear view
mirrors, nor turn signals or blue light at your equipment also neither.
REGLO: In traffic problems remain. The view over the left shoulder is
reduced, if one is not a turning neck. One never knows whether one is
particularly noticeable or whether one will particularly survey. And me
it, this pure piece of technology with rear view mirror against-strove
to ruin spacer spoon and warning tag! At full-parked inlets one cannot
away-look over the autoroofs: There I angewoehnt myself the view into
the curve by the autodisks and under the cars through, in order to be
surprised. Durchschlaengeln is not in it, the wheel is also not so
agile. One must behave altogether more disciplined. In the meantime I
can look to the side, over the 180 degrees before me - from left to
right querab. It made long for me one year the largest difficulties to
turn the view away from the driving direction to keep in order to look
about to the right into an entry or a by-pulling sight is in such a way
enough in the eye until my neck at the notice is. I tried and practiced.
The head to the left turn, into the landscape look, brought me at first
from the equilibrium. To start with turned away head (e.g. to the left
securing) into a curve - when bending into a right of way road about,
that was very difficult. HERWIG: That I imagined nearly in such a way.
>From your description I infer that you must hold on to the optical
horizon with fixed view. You divide this fate with beginners in the
sailing boat or in the glider. The visual horizon supplies in the area
an important invariant to the situation feeling with of the body. We are
phylogenetisch calibrated as upright going natures on the round around
horizon. REGLO: I may ask times: Why do you stress now so the visual
horizon? The equilibrium regularization carries out nevertheless the
sense of vestibular! HERWIG: There would be no further sources for the
brain to inform about the situation of the body in the area and about
its movement conditions relative to the area then e.g. astronauts would
have sunk in the universe in agonaler seasickness. At the equilibrium
regularization many senses are involved. The brain furnishes a A-modale
aequilibratorische total output and can even the loss of individual
sense modalities bear. Thus Trampolinturner or water Springer close the
eyes when fast turns already times. With the Walzertanzen one keeps the
view as long as possible fixed on a firm point and makes then a fast
view-swivels (Kopfsakkade). Blind ones can learn ski driving or
Wildwasserkajak. High performance is always called to open for the brain
under the existing sources of information that which is most relevant
for the task. The visual horizon is thus helpful beside the vestibular
apparatus extraordinarily for the space situation feeling. REGLO: In
addition the following situation occurs to me: I drive in complete
darkness - also without lighting (ahem!) - by a hohlweg from shrubs and
trees, only straightforward, 200m before me the matte ' light at the end
of the tunnel '. There no visual horizon was to be seen, and I had
hang-felt completely strong to the force of gravity - thus me as it were
extremely vestibularly orients. The head when driving, that was also a
cliff inclined-holds laterally bent. Or look also sideways and then the
head bend. HERWIG: The vestibular organ with its semicircular canals and
the Statolithenapparat is very interruptible by isolated head movements.
To head inclination the vestibular apparatus inclination announces.
Agitates however from the neck position, the central processor must
out-count this deviation only. The messages following from it make for
the brain however only in overload situations - with the release of a
complex total task - to create. In the everyday life and in
high-experienced courses of motion one does not notice the additional
demand of the central processor. Make times a small experiment:
Straighten yourselves out directed toward a leg, head, view into the
distance. That is not so difficult. Now you close the eyes. Blind
installation once marriages is already more difficult, does not bring
you however yet to the border. Lower the head then fast on the chest -
now would have to become dizzy you. ... now. ... you.Sehen! They fall!
Oh... Forgive. REGLO: Already well. I was not fast. But as you explain
the following: When normal stepping the wheel lies more calmly than when
rolling in the free-wheel with resting legs with me. The situation
becomes clearly more unstable even when rolling with Rueckwaertstreten.
Me the balance seems also with the Tretbewegung of the legs
zuammenzuhaengen. Can be? HERWIG: Our perception systems generate
invariants from accelerations, i.e. from changes of movement. States of
rest are thus quite information-poor for our brain. Rhythmic stepping
produces a succession of torques on the one hand around the crank axle,
which serve the propulsion, on the other hand in addition, -
right-angled in addition arranged - axle Kippmonente, which add
themselves however in the impulse sum to zero. Straightforward arises
therefore not statically, but as gradient zero-sum - perhaps is a source
of information for the brain. In addition, I think that it further the
equilibrium receipt over accelerations - which propulsion component of
stepping thus - adjusts, only in many smaller and thus outwardly hardly
still perceptible intervals. All this is omitted in the free-wheel, with
resting legs thus. By long exercise this operation effect relationship
between stepping and equilibrium regularization surely descended toward
small brain regularization, and it requires no more conscious guard. For
this thesis the fact speaks that the Rueckwaertstreten does not have by
far the same stabilizing effect. On an automatic transfer of forward of
onto Rueckwaertstreten is not to be counted here. SEILER described such
problems in detail in its studies to the "reversal bicycle". Did you
fall actually much? Don't you wear a helmet? REGLO: No. I actually never
fell. The excellent brakes were always enough in the learning phase for
an emergency stop. Perhaps one falls down thereafter, how one does not
come from a beach chair evenly so easily on the legs, as - you, Mr.
Herwig excuse - from a bar stool (I do not want to insult your
supergetuntes racing cycle by this comparison). I did not find a
problem, one to falls fall also not deeply. It is only sometimes
embarrassing, if one kugelt someone before the feet, since one anyway
already exposes oneself with so an exotic part. HERWIG: For what would
you recommend this wheel now? REGLO: Perhaps to them I recommend it for
studies for balance regularization and for devising teaching methods (I
noted my tips for learning the Flevos you - see box 2) HERWIG: For what
is it suited otherwise still? REGLO: It is an intoxication to slide onto
it August ' in August ' with fern herb and kornaehren by forest and
meadows - leave as in the beach chair, which arms, no close running
trousers on, nothing presses. In addition - couch wheels announce a new
culture of the wheel driving. This machine offers also motor completely
new. HERWIG: The other one sounds in such a way, as if they flow on your
running couch from a flow into the next - Csikszentmihalyi - you know. I
thank you much for this discussion with its interesting views. REGLO:
Was me a pleasure. It is interested otherwise rarely someone so
intensively in me. Box 2: Tip for the first footsteps on that Flevo bike
pre and always again Zwischenuebung scooters: 0. Select an easily
sloping course and try to roll. I.e. sits upright (not leaned), sharpens
the feet on the soil. Induce the torso to sideways balancing and use the
steering element. 1. Extremely eases place take. The hands only on the
grasps present. Exert never violent strength on the steering wheel. 2.
Begin with as small a pedal pressure as possible. In addition insert the
shortest (smallest) course and place the tretkurbeln perpendicularly to
the start. 3. Keep freely ahead toward the horizon directed the view.
Schau not on your feet or the soil before you. 4. Register after start a
taking of the second leg off directly, where the wheel wants to lean. 5.
If it to the pedal stepping goes: Poor ones relent to press, but the
back into the bowl seat. 6. In link curves the right shoulder, thus the
wheel "into the curve do not fall" and vice take back versa. 7. Before
narrowings of the roadway not, but the passages focus the obstacles.
Sketch visually ahead the trace always 10-15 to m. from the book "and,
BdWi publishing house Marburg rehearses opinions of the bicycle"
publisher Becker 1996.