[python] Re: frame geometry and pivot angle

  • From: Vi Vuong <vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:23:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Patrick,

Yes, pivot does move up but rider falls down (leaning).  I do miss the self
centering effect, and feel like I am sitting on the wrong side of the trike.
However, for a tadpole with pivot pointing backward like pythons, the rider
would lean the wrong way, very unnatural...

Well, the trike started out with RWS, which was scary with direct steering.
 Then I moved the pivot up front to try out leaning.  It does seems arkward
making a u-turn, but a normal turn just need a little bit of leaning, and feel
quite natural after a while.  Some sort of speed-variable pivot would be nice
:)  Going fast is another story - I have to lock my arms to reduce steering
influence; here a locking disc at the pivot would be super nice, but maybe
getting too complicated (what happens to hands free).  I may build a RWD
leaning tadpole to compare steering influence.  A really nice things about
leaning design is that the track can be narrower, and maybe higher seat.

Besides the leaning experiment, I started making a wire-frame velo shell and
got a little carried away with abstract painting.  Not sure what to do with the
thing now, but I may participate in
the http://fbuc.org/2012/03/fbuc-figure-8-track-pedal-car-racing/ if this thing
qualifies (w/ 4 wheels).  Meanwhile I started a 2nd FWD leaning folding
tadpole, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rkPKDMDk9E, but the axle is rework...

So adding more wheels should be reserved for necessity (safety, stability,
speed, cargo etc).  It would be tough to beat the experience on python bike
cruising.  By the way, your video makes it much easier to understand the paper
pivot concept.  How about an actual python model made out of paper :)?

Cheers,

Vi