[python] Re: faired Python

  • From: Rhisiart Gwilym <Rhisiart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:37:38 +0100

Siwmae Stephan!

Yes Spring at last here too. Sun and drought (would you believe).

"Whan that April with his showres soote / The droughte of March hath perced to the roote"

That's Geoffrey Chaucer's salute to Spring at the start of his "Canterbury Tales". But it's about five and a half centuries old now. Translated to modern European English, it reads:

When April with its showers sweet / The drought of March has pierced to the root.

I'm waiting. Been watering raised beds today, it's so dry.

Clearly we think along similar lines for fairing FWD bikes, and I've been pondering this for quite a while, with many possible designs run up.

My Mark 1 Python is a two-wheeler, but of course I've worked from the first with the knowledge that it's always possible to put a two-wheeled hinterteil on it, so I've always considered it interchangeable into a trike.

I've also been pondering for some time which sort of leaning trike design that I prefer, and have a simplification of Bram Smit's and Henry Thomas's ideas waiting in my queue of things to do. So if/when I ever get to making the trike hind part, it will be a leaner.

First things first though: get the bike tweeked till it's really comfortable for my preferences, and painted up so I can show it around, and get fluent in riding it, and then start with the fairing ideas. I can think of an alternative back end after all that's done -- or abandoned as undoable, as it might be with the fairing. I might have to build another trike to be a harsh-weather velo, perhaps like Wolfgang Bion's 'Forelle', which also uses the flexy foam for body panels.

Cofion gorau i chi Stephan,     RhG

Hi,

Jürgen, you should know better. Wasn't it you who blamed all the people who said that a python-kind of bike would be unrideable ?

Now, let us see. Im shure there are many more Ideas than mine.
And a soft shell fairing seems to be a good answer to the question how to wrap a center steered bike.

I would try to do a seperate front and back part and use the ability of the material to bend at the inside of the turn and let the to pieces slide apart at the outside.

Rhisiart, pleas allow just one question: How many wheels has your bike ?

Greetings from sunny Germany, spring just arrived these days here,

Stephan