[python] Re: cruzbike

  • From: "25hz" <25hz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:59:35 -0500

Diggin up another old post . . .

I helped two friends build two swing boom FWDs like Tom Traylor's and a
friend of mine built another one
(http://georgianbents.ca/trikefest%20fwd%20aug%202005.jpg), only they didn't
look quite as refined as Tom's.  Both of my friends' were no-weld versions,
but I took the one bike and welded all the joints and removed and filled up
the bolt holes (as best I could, anyway).  The yellow bike was really hard
to ride because the back rest kept twisting on it.  The one guy moved and I
just heard back from him so I'm hoping he can send me some pictures of his
swing boom bent.

For riding, they didn't feel anything like the python, at least in my mind,
and they all had a fairly upright seating position.  When you first started
pedalling, you had to counter steer with the opposite arm and to turn it was
a matter of fighting your arms with your legs or vice versa.  This was only
when first riding it, because after a few minutes, the control really
smoothed out as you relaxed.  Still being a novice on it, I found my arms
and legs were moving as if I was walking and slight opposite pressure from
my arms would counter the pedal force, so I sort of did the "salmon pedal
steer" thing.  When both my friends rode, they were as smooth as silk and
one of them could ride with no hands as he had been commuting on his (about
15km round trip) for nearly two weeks.  I was amazed because I had to keep
pretty firm pressure on the handle bars at all times and couldn't imagine
taking my hands off.  Also, this was after I had over 500km on the python,
so I was fairly competent at riding with just foot and hip control.

I still want to build one of them anyway and there's no reason you have to
use 26" wheels in a 26" frame so for ease, I'll maybe take a 27" frame and
use 24" wheels.  I really want to give the design a chance and see what it
rides like if I get used to it.  I'm really starting to prefer a laid back
seat angle for better aerodynamics, like 30 degrees or flatter, but I don't
know how that will adapt to a swing boom, or even the python trike.  I guess
I'll just have to try it and find out.