[python] Re: carbhyton

  • From: Olaf Johansson <olaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:09:37 +0200

On 13 sep 2006, at 20.20, Jürgen Mages wrote:

Are you sure it is a good idea to work with epoxy in a closed room?
A good info source is alwys R&G and their forums.
Ok then, to hell with epoxy. I was not aware of the big risk of skin allergy - I already have chronic urticaria giving me enough trouble.

I once met a master craftsman (a bowmaker) who made his upright bike frame of layered wood. The frame looked even better than a CF frame and the tail suspension was realised directly by the flexing wood. Total weight was around 10 kg.

Don?t you have lots of wood in Sweden? And isn?t wood also a kind of
fibre-reinforced composite material?

My kajak instructor built and designed strip-built kayaks that weighed 12 kg and were very stiff. Core material was fast-growing spruce, he called it "Swedish balsa" becaause it is the lightest endemic wood you will find here. It comes real cheap too. He stapled the strips of wood on to [those vertical things that hold the shape of a fuselage in airplanes or boats] and put glassfibre/epoxi on both sides. It made a beautiful sandwich where the clear epoxi let the wood pattern stay visible.

http://www.thomassondesign.com/doc/kayaks.php

But for a bike I guess wood is not so easy to work and design. Where wood meets steel parts you have trouble, I think.

Olaf