[python] Re: brazing

  • From: "Dirk Jan Luiting" <djl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:29:41 +0100

Hi Brian,

i am also a fan of alternative construction methods.

interesting idea.
brazing, like gluing, is a good way of connecting things,
when there are only or mostly sheer forces in play.

to ilustrate, if you take 2 strips of paper, and glue the ends together to
get a longer strip,
you are doing the correct thing with gluing,
and it will be dificult to pull the strips apart.
in the middle of the long strip, where the short strips are glued together,
the glue is subjected to sheerforces only.
the same is true for lugs and pipes with brazing.
it would be hard to pull a pipe out once brazed, or rotate it out.

on the other hand, if you glue something to the ceiling,
there is a different situation, glue will be subjected to tangent forces,
and it is not so good in taking that, and things will fall to the ground.
(sorry for the childish writing)

also, to concider, are the surface (rough is better, obvious) and hardness
of the glue/brazing
if you take a too hard (inflexible) glue material,
a too little surface of the glue will have to bare the load, as the material
that is glued stretches under load.
that means on failure the glue/brazing will display an initial crack that
grows further.
specially not nice in repetative load situations, like on a bike.

having said that, i maybe dont think it is impossible, but difficult to do
with wire and tubes and brazing.
if you wind wire diagonally 45 deg. across tube one direction and then 45
deg. the other direction,
maybe like a weave, or just on top of each other, maybe.
one problem is that you would have to wind the metal wire so tight that it
dousnt flex.
if it flexes, it will surely promote cracks through the brazing and fail.
one problem is that it would have to take a lot of beating on the road.

i would nearly think more in the direction of first looking whats on the
market,
(lugs, pipes, even car parts[suspension etc.] ) and what has been done here
in the forum.
or go to a workshop with your stuff and let them weld it for you (fast,
professional welds)
thats more the way to go.
or even, produce your own set of lugs.
maybe, if you plan them right with the python community,
you would endup with a "kit" including barings/rodends etc.
(open market, anybody?)

good luck, dj