[python] baby python

  • From: olaf <noll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:04:20 +0100

JPEG image

Hi all! Here is a sketch of an unsuspended 20" python. I placed it over the 28" python currently under construction in the python lab. Just wanted to see the difference in size, and it is huge isn't it? In all main aspects the construction follows the python (cranks are not drawn due to laziness).

Personally I doubt this thing actually could be built and ridden, but before I discard the idea I would like to consult the python list. Do you think this thing could work?

My aim is to design a very compact bike suitable for shorter tours. Inspiration came from the python and from the foldable recumbent Twist built by Hanno Hirsch. I wanted the bike to be of low weight and preferably to be foldable. Now this last wish is perhaps not fulfilled with the above design. To make the baby python truly foldable one should have to use a steering head à la Flevo so that the bike can be demounted in two halves.

The first prototype (if it ever will get that far) will be unsuspended and have a hub gear just to make things a bit more simple to build. A problem will perhaps be to find a big enough chainwheel. Beside that plus the tubing, I hope to find most of the needed parts in the scrap yard.

Would 35 x 35 x 1,5 mm be enough for the main tube? What steering angle should I aim for? And how do I bend the lower crank? Doesn't heating make the metal brittle?

If my calculations are correct ground clearance will be ridiculously small: about 7-8 cm. I will have to watch out when riding over kerbs!

I leave the baby at your mercy.

olaf johansson sweden