[python] another newbee

  • From: Ralf Weigel <Ralf.Weigel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:25:01 +0200

Hi,

I am freshly subscribed to this mailinglist. May I introduce myself?

My name is Ralf Weigel, I'm 39 years young, married and got a 17-year daugther. I make my living as engineer, running a large X-ray research instrument and giving support to scientist when they perform experiments there. I was born in eastern Germany, have worked for many years in Bavaria and then in Grenoble/France. Now I work close to Karlsruhe while still living in France. Though my main professional subject was electronics, I also successfully designed and built high pressure research equipment and mechanical parts for detectors and sample environment. I also write occasionally software for experiment control and hardware interfaces.

My interest for recumbents goes back about ten years, but it is only 3 years since I actually tried one and two years since I bought the first one. This was a Peer Gynt, long wheelbase. It soon turned out to be too slow and too tiring for daily commuting (2x36km). After inquiries of many recumbent riders I decided to go for a Speedbike and succeded to get a frame from Munich. It took about 8 month to get the bike assembled, I also had to get my workshop, which was only equipped for small goldsmith jobs, up to cycle-building standard. The Speedbike is still a rolling construction site, next thing to do is a tailbag with good aerodynamics. But it already cut the time for commuting form 1:40 to 1:15, I hope that one hour is within reach.

Recumbents are dangerously contageous: 6 months after I bought my first, I assembled another long wheelbase "Zugvogel" for my daugther from a framekit. April 2003, when we went home from the SPEZI, my wife had caught a serious "Kettwieselitis", which inevitably led to the purchase of such a trike. Since the 2004 SPEZI I got my own Kettwiesel as well, which I prefer to use whenever I have to go to the city center of Karlsruhe and for leisure rides with my wife. The garage is full now, I've to build some bicycle lifts to gain space.

When I met the Karlsruhe recumbent group, I learned about center-steered bikes. They're still very intrigueing. I had a go on a airbike a couple of times, I finally managed to ride some hundred meters along a quiet street. Turning is still a miracle. A friend of mine, who's riding Flevo and built the Flevo tandem, told me: build one for yourself, and you will learn how to ride it....so, here I am, ready to learn about the Python and perhaps eventually building one myself. What attracts me is the seat height (I like lowriders a lot and find them much easier to ride than higher seated models) and the steering principle. I plan to build the bike from stainless steel tubes, as I could get them with small wall thicknesses and they are easy to weld with my TIG station.

So, that should be enough for an introduction. You could write to me in German, English and French, if you like...

Cheers

Ralf