[python] Re: airbike - programm results

  • From: "Hanno Hirsch" <superhanno@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:32:22 +0100

Hi Peter Nasenzwerg,

> By the way: I am now working part-time as a bike-messenger with my
> Airbike in Basel. Among guys riding light and expensive racing-machines.
> And I don’t feel I perform not too bad in comparison.
> One motivation was to work against the widespread prejudices concerning
> recumbents in big cities. Of course it has some disadvantages with the
> Airbike, mainly having to do with the huge turning-circle and the
> inability to jump up on the sidewalk. But it is by far outweigh by the
> numerous advantages.

I am racing sometimes with bike messengers in my city (Karlsruhe) too with
the Flevo bike.
I don't feel any disadvantage in turning, with the Flevo I can turn
virtually rectangly. O.k., the bike Messengers are far more daring to cross
the red lights but usually on the straights I easily catch up again due to
higher speed.

Thats the old question: recumbent too much limited in city traffic?

I think not, there are enough straight parts to run where recumbents can
take advantage of the speed advantage.
And not to mention the overall speed advantage when not getting so much
injured in case of a fall. I think it takes more time to recover from a
upside-down-header from a upright than from a butt-scratcher off a
recumbent.....

    Hanno