[python] Re: airbike hammock seat

  • From: Olaf Johansson <noll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 11:33:23 +0200

I will explain why my current aluminium seat is not good and why I look for alternatives.

Riding the bike and turning front part left makes the pivot shoot out to the right and the upper rear part of the seat goes left, (the same direction as I turn). The python really slithers like a snake.

The further the rear upper part of seat is from pivot the more it moves.

When riding for more than an hour I get tired in the upper part of my back. My shoulders try to keep in contact with the seat through the turns, and they get tensed.

So I could raise the seat (it is now 31 deg) but I don't like the idea of getting a numb ass. Or I could find a seat that is wider at the shoulders. But that alone won't help. I believe a hammock style seat has a little "play" in it, giving room for the movement so my shoulders can stay in contact with the seat all the time without any deliberate action.

I have done almost 100 km on Monty now and this is the only major problem so far, on the other hand it seems to become more tiring the longer I ride.

On May 14, 2005, at 10:06, Jürgen Mages wrote:

The airbike seat is made of Cordura and Nylon belts
that are adjustable. The seat helps a lot when the
bike has to be folded
http://www.python-lowracer.de/airbike/a025.jpg
but is not so good when you want to push the
bike uphills.

Yeah, I can imagine it rocks a little.

Olaf