[python] adjustable seat for high and low riding python with hiking backpack

  • From: Logan Streondj <weyounet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 09:44:38 -0400

Hi,

I don't use racks or panniers,
had bad experience of racks breaking from overload,

instead I typically load my groceries into a hiking backpack,
and then simply ride with it back home. It can hold a large amount of stuff
and carry significant loads.

On a recumbent it seems that it would generally be more difficult to put on
a hiking backpack.

Also since I do a lot of riding in the city, where I'm filtering through
vehicles, it's beneficial to be at least at eye level with the
cars/vehicles.

So I've made this design (note it's a bit rough, haven't gotten Vi's module
working yet).

[image: Inline image 3]

okay, so main questions I have is relating to attaching the seat to the
bike.
Ideally it would be adustable.

Adjustable angle,
 when for instance the backpack isn't full, can be more reclined, so seat
angle adjustable.

Adjustable height,
when going on bike-trails,
and other places without car hazards,
and not using backpack,
would be nice to have low-rider position.

what's the best way to do it?

My idea was to have standard bike seat bottom,
allowing angle adjustment,
and several lengths of seat pole for different heights.

but then I'm not sure if it'll hold if I weld the old bike seat part holder
on.

Also the diagram at openbike,
http://en.openbike.org/wiki/Pedal/Steering_Interference it isn't clear what
the optimal position for minimizing pedal-steering interface, it says the
example is bad, but what is a good example?

PNG image