[python] Re: a somewhat strange request from listers

  • From: "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:33:08 -0600

No ron! you are not twisted!  THAT is JUST what I had in mind!  See, I want
something that is PLAUSIBLE and "it could happen"  OK, so maybe it won't.
but what happens when you climb dodwn the hawser?  you see the bottle in the
harbor and want to figure it out.  "I live in Hamburg, I am a "Hamburger"
hahahaha! and my home is like this!....." And you threw it in the river
somewhere on a trip and it went....where?  there are SO many silly things
that it could be involved in!

anyway, I am being a nut case I guess!

mark

On 1/16/07, Ronald Hongsermeier <ronwhongsermeier@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 lazybee45@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

hi, you guys know me ...well, sort of....And I want to pick your
brains....I am writing a story for my grand daughter. MAYBE it will find
itself in a publishing house, but that is NOT the intention so much as a fun
story for her.

the premise is THIS
A man and his daughter are riding their bicycle by a stream near their
home when the girl asks "where does the stream go?"  In the case of the
small creek that runs near our house, it runs to a river, then to a bigger
river, thence to the Mississippi and out into the gulf of Mexico.
(eventually, about 1000 miles away!) In the story, the girl wants to put a
note in a bottle and throw it into the river to see where it goes and she
begins to get notes back from places where the bottle washes up.  OK, it is
sort of fanciful, but it COULD happen.  Since the Gulf connects to the
Atlantic, and eventually it could go anywhere in the world!

what I would like is to see if you guys would take a minute or two and
consider what you would write to a small girl (who during the story grows up
and eventually has a small girl of her own)  If you were on a beach and
found a bottle that said, "PLease send me a note telling where you found
this bottle, and please put the bottle BACK into the water so that it can
keep traveling!"

how would you react?  what would you tell her about you, and your country?
I have LIMITED imagination and will be in all likelyhood asking others to
help too.  But this project started to FASCINATE me.  I am hoping to draw
some pictures to go with it eventually.  this can be a long undertaking, but
I hae a 3 year old Grand daughter, her 5 month old sister, and will soon be
"grampa" to another 3 year old when my middle  daughter marries her man
friend later this year.

So call me crazy, but I love kids and like to tell them stories!  And I
also like to involve the "interconnectedness of all things" as well!

thanks. If you can do it, GREAT! if not, hey, this is a REQUEST, not a
demand!

--
Mark (Mr. WizWheelz!) Garvey
Cedar Rapids, Iowa (free state!)

"three wheels good, 2 wheels ...not so good!"
NO MORE WEDGIES!

Check out the web site at:
http://www.vine-ave.com

contact us to have INVISIBLE INC! appear at your next program!  Details at
www.vine-ave.com

   Get on yer Trike and RIDE!

It's a fascinating idea, Mark! I found myself on a trip to Hamburg,
climbing down a hawser to snag the bottle, taking it home to Bavaria and
throwing it in the Isar, /*during this stretch of the journey, it could
easily be found by Jürgen, who I'm sure would have a creative place to
re-bathe it. */ which mouths in Romanian waters... or as a garbage worker in
Niger, who found it in the junk after an immigrant east European harbor
garbage collector /*who couldn't read English*/ found it in the Hamburg
harbor and threw it in the junk bin...  /*I have a bit of a twisted mind, I
guess...*/

cheers,
Ron