[python] Re: Wiki

  • From: Stephan Schöling <stephan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:26:42 +0100

Hi,

i have just started to test the new wiki.
It seems to work fine and fast.
I have hacked in some articles quick and dirty, please feel free to edit them. I have copied my private python page (42) to the wiki, just for testing, too.

@Jürgen
What about a little fund-raising campaign to collect money for professional webspace for www.python-lowracer.de and wiki.python-lowracer.de ?
I would donate.

Stephan

info@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,

Sorry, I didn't put attention to the python stuff lately. Last I remember
was this

On Thursday, November 08, 2007 12:41 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx> wrote:
Whe should really do a bike design wiki site

I can set up a wiki on one of my domains, else I can help setting up
one on other folk's sites.

Marek, you can set up a wiki for that. According to my wiki-experience
the uncoordinated action of various wiki-users with different points
of view normally lead to hardly useable results.

Now I see that most favour the idea, and Dirk wrote me a mail in private on
the subject. I've set up a wiki here: http://python.data.he-hosting.de.
data.he-hosting.de is a subdomain of mine I use for non commercial purposes - python.data.he-hosting.de is a subsubdomain... :-) Else I can offer shop46.com or byteshift.de (my web design joint) subdomains, which would be even less
cool, I guess.

It runs on mediawiki software
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download), the
one that powers Wikipedia. Using a Python based wiki, as some suggested,
might be funny and somehow fitting, but for now the PHP based mediawiki
software is the most reliable - and widely tested. Besides, most providers
have PHP running, while Python support is reserved for the more costly
hosting plans.

You can use my wiki for testing. Bandwidth won't be
worth mentioning, and I'll throw in some 10 MBs of webspace for starters. In the long run though, I'd prefer you to buy webspace or use existing one, though, as image uploads can quite amount to something - and you'll want a fancy domain name, not in control of someone you don't know. With my provider (hosteurope.de) about 5 EUR/month will buy you htaccess, PHP, and MySQL enabled webspace, which you need to run mediawiki software. Besides, you'll get 750 MB webspace, 100 Subdomains and 100 GB Traffic - more than enough. Support for Python (and Ruby) programming language is included, too, should you eventually decide to switch to Python for the nice ring to it.

I don't know about providers abroad, but I've the impression that webspace
in Germany and Austria is less expensive then elsewhere.

If some listees would like to set up a wiki of their own, download http://download.wikimedia.org/mediawiki/1.11/mediawiki-1.11.0.tar.gz and follow the procedure in the INSTALL file, it's pretty straightforward. Remember, you'll need htaccess, PHP, and MySQL on your server. If you need help, mail me or use http://python.data.he-hosting.de/Talk:Mediawiki, so the wiki is good for something. If you set up an account and log in, you can set up your preferences to receive a mail when selected articles or talk pages get updated.

Cheers,
Marek

Marek Moehling
Naunynstr. 82