[python] Re: Variable pivot angle was Re: Re: gyro forces

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:23:53 +0200

Perhaps Daryl's whacky thought has some merit. But, rather than using
hydraulic pistons or some such,how about linking the pivot angle to the
seat. By that I mean have a seat with a recline angle and or height which
could be changed on the fly. As the saet recline was raised- for increased
stability the pivot angle would also change in the direction which would
give better stability. Seat connect by mechanical linkage to the pivot.
Would the extra complexity and weight penalty be worth the variable stability?

Mike Channon
London, Ontario, Canada

Fascinating idea indeed.

Some years ago I met Andreas Leutz who constructed an airbike
that could change seat height and pivot angle on the fly, simply
by braking (higher) or by unloading the suspension (chair gas
spring). Later he built an even better version with his flevo.

Low Position:
http://www.python-lowracer.de/airbike/a004.jpg
High Position:
http://www.python-lowracer.de/airbike/a002.jpg

Also there is Uwe Carstens who built the "Yellow Submachine".
I think it could store the energy of braking by lifting up the seat.
(nice center-steered bike anyway).

Mike, BTW, as you are the inventor of the rod end bearings pivot:
Any wear so far? How many miles?