[python] Re: Two new Members

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:00:17 +0200

olaf wrote:

On Saturday, July 24, 2004, at 12:31 PM, Jürgen Mages wrote:

Dirk Bonne from Danmark:

I probably have to go for a 20inch version (because my inseam is
82.5 bare feet). And I am not sure yet if I go for racing like (reckless
design, fragile and light), or trekking (a packing mule, comfortable).

I have been grazing this mailing list (my compliments to the list. it's
made up out of a really nice group), and found some references about
20inch wheels. I believe Olaf from Sweden is doing such a version (?),
but I didn't see much discussion or drawings.

Hi all! Yes I did some sketching on a 20" python but I had problems finding somewhere to build it, likewise finding a good and cheap welding machine and other practical matters (I bought the tubes though). When spring came along I thought let's not build during summer, instead this is the time to ride bikes, I can take things up when autumn arrives.

Since I already from the beginning of my python planning had been curious whether I could ride a centre steered recumbent or not, I began looking for a used Flevobike (there are almost no other centre steered two wheeled bike to be found on the second hand market). At Cycle Vision I found one for 200 euro and happily brought it back home to Sweden. After some weeks of reparations I started practising and the whole thing went far more easy than expected. Third day I could leave the parking lot and ride around the nearby blocks and a few days later I started to ride without hands knowing, as Jürgen points ut, this will be harder to do in a latter stage when one has got used holding on to the handle bars. Another two weeks and I rode without hands almost all the time. I know it comes harder for some people (while others may manage this in even shorter time) but even if you have to struggle before you have unlearnt the body's reflex to correct balance with the hands and arms and instead giving the task to your legs and feet it is well worth the effort (note that the unlearning bit is much bigger than the learning one). Riding my Flevobike has become a very special experience that transcends ordinary recumbent bicycling in a manner that makes me feel very good.

Soon autumn will be here (hey summer, where did you go?) and I will continue my plans on how and where to build a small, compact centre steered bike tailor made to suit my needs. I feel I can embark the project with a little more confidence now.

Hi,

Since I live in Danmark (I am a belgian, and I have been here only since August last year), I have also had trouble in finding a place to weld, etc... Now I found it. May be, if you live in a big town, something simular might exist. It is a place proivided by the comunicipal of København, where you can do clay work, painting, develop your photos, knitting, ... and also work on your bike. They have a MIG and acethyleen-oxy burner (which I prefer), and are fairly well provided with tools.

I also am a proud owner of a flevo type machine (self built). But in my case it is 20inch flevo racer (more or less). I am very happy with it, but I am looking forward in trying something new.

Did you decide on steering angle, trail in your plans?

Dirk