[python] Re: Trike Rear End

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:53:35 +0100

25hz wrote:

Sorry for the late reply. Actually, I'm talking about the guy who built a
flevo clone and put a delta rear end on it with a horizontal pivot so he
could still lean into corners like a normal bike. I'm wondering if it's
necessary. I've been following Greg's since almost the beginning, but it's
a little too complicated for my likes :)

I missed the mails about this, so I didn't notice that you mean't my flevo2trike adapter...

You have better cornering capabilities, but in my case I just did it mostly for constructional reasons: (1) I wanted easy connection to my flevo, and (2) the rear frame of the flevo is to weak to take the torsional forces from a fixed trike.

greetz
Dirk

I want to make a trike rear end for it and
noticed the one guy on the list added a trike rear end but also added an
extra pivot to add "roll" to the frame so the front half could still be
leaned into corners like it was on two wheels instead of three. My
question
is, is it really required to have a pivot back there? I think the

turning

radius would be affected negatively if there was no rear pivot, but I
don't
know by how much. I also think that the front end's deflection would

need

to be greater (possibly MUCH greater) for any given turn when compared

the 2 wheel version and the angle of the riders legs would also have to

be

much greater in relation to the bike's center line. How much more,

again,

don't know. I'm wondering if it might not be a problem at all and just
might feel a little weird because of the flatter style of turning.

Hi 25hz,

I think you are referring to Greg´s lean steer trike. I suspect its
turning circle to be huge. Greg once told about his
"Austin Powers style" of making U-turns.
Also Greg installed some kind of steering brake for the rear pivot,
which prevents steering influences when riding over bumps (this
causes the rear end to tilt and induce some steering force).
Mmh - I wonder if anyone understands, what I want to say.

Greetings from Jürgen.