[python] Trike Drum Break Hubs

  • From: Gerald <bepb@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 06:31:42 +0100

Hi Steffen,
I bought my trike rear wheels including the Sturmey Archer drum break hubs 70mm for 219€.
They are really nice and I did not have any issues with them.

In the mean time there is also a 90mm version which is for 20" rear wheels most probable over sized.

I bought my wheels online - I dont know if its OK if I would post the link?
Anyhow if you are interested I will send the link to you directly.

Gerald

On 28.11.11 17:46 , Steffen Risse wrote:
Patricks idea of a seat belt is nice. At the moment I'm dealing with a set of drum brake on the rear axles (python trike). There are ones for wheelchairs and some for children buggies from Chariot. Last one would cost me about 300,-€ incl. wheels, brakes and a straight axle (I normally wanted to have a low axle from wheel to wheel). There are also disk brake calipers for left and right at rolko.com <http://rolko.com>, what makes it possible to use small brake discs (maybe d120 or something like that). Now I have to think about, what's easier and/or safes some weight, money, time, nerves, ....

regards,
Steffen

2011/11/28 Gerald <bepb@xxxxxx <mailto:bepb@xxxxxx>>

    Hi
    I think in Germany too, two break systems on the front wheel, even
    as independent as a coaster break and a rim break will suffice
    from the legal point of view.

    I once had a cheap tire jump of rim off the front wheel and was
    rather happy to have a rear break :-).

    I am not talking against a second set of breaks on the front
    wheel, but a break on the rear wheel has its merits too.

    Gerald

    On 28.11.11 14:25 , Patrick van Gompel wrote:
    Hmm yes, but laws are there for the people, not the other way
    around, right?
    Since a rear brake on a python is rather useless and a double
    brake on the front makes much more sense (safety wise), I doubt
    whether you would ever run into problems.
    A python is just so different compared to a normal bike that
    there is no point to conform to that law, I think. For a python
    with a low CoG a seat belt is a better idea than a rear brake ;-p