[python] Trike Conversion

  • From: Gavin <gav@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:11:12 +0200

Hi everybody

I have been following with interest the trike developments. I also wanted a trike but did not want to build one from scratch. I have decided to make my 16" python convert to a trike when I need to haul heavy goods and back to a two wheeler for general commuting. I have not completed it yet but I use it daily. With the trike rear end the wheel base is now 1500mm and the track width is a narrow 620mm. She goes like an absolute dream. No tilting, no lean steering so I have to counter balance with my body to stop her from flipping when I turn both fast and slow. It takes me 4 minutes to remove the rear end and convert her back to a two wheeler. I still have to make a better load body floor and fenders for the side. But that will have to wait until I have all the material. My fastest speed was 35km/h, but I was spinning absolutely flat out. She handles well at high speed and one can feel when she wants to flip. At high speed into a corner you have to really hike and only my butt is on the seat. Pedalling like this is difficult but I got used to it quite quickly. My heaviest haul was 91 kg. I have a triple chain ring setup with a five speed cassette. She hauls heavy goods ok_ish, but it becomes hard work on the uphills. The 91 kg idiot that I had in the back jumped off when we were going to fast for his liking and he has the broken teeth to prove it.

I hope to complete her by mid February and will send better pictures when I am done.

Until then
Cheers
Gavin

JPEG image