[python] Re: Test ride

  • From: Ray Schümacher <mtb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 07:39:42 -0700

At 07:33 PM 4/21/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>After looking at your picture, perhaps the problem is you are seated a
>little too low, and the BB is a little too high?

I cut and welded, and it is better now..
Old dimensions:
>> wheelbase: 132cm
>> pivot: 59.5
>> trail: 23cm
>> seat height: 27cm
>> BB height: 52cm

New:
wheelbase: 132cm
pivot: 64.5
trail: 23.5cm
seat height: 35cm
BB height: 50cm
weight: 18kg
http://rjs.org/gallery/python_2.jpg
It is now just about ridable right off. I went down the alley for a few
seconds, then ran out of maneuvering room. I really need a parking lot for
practice of the feel. The turning radius is so large, relative to an upright,
that you need react quickly at low speed when the frame/body starts to lean
over.
The handlebars may not turn out to be useful, we'll see. In any case I intend
to move them under the seat for mounting the brakes and shifters.

http://rjs.org/gallery/pivot.jpg
is a closeup of the pivot; I thought that it would make mounting handlebars,
and maybe a damper, easier. It also gives the minimum trail possible.
It might be worth making the angle more like 70 degrees, but my grinder died
and I ran out of welding wire, both within five minutes.

BTW; it seems tieflieger.net is unavailable (?)

Ray