[python] TT/--/LD

  • From: Ghislain Pillet <gh.pillet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:48:07 +0200

Hello All ! Hello Jürgen !

About my Python Aluminium for sale, the bottom bracket is not adjustable. Seat can be moved, once for all, not on the fly. Requirements differing from the measurments mentioned would lead to cutting and rewelding aluminium.

Jürgen, thanks for your invitation, as writing about what I call a TT/ LD is not the topic of this list.

TT stands for Tom Traylor, from Southern California, who apparently filed a patent for a front wheel drive in 1982.(http:// patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=% 2Fnetahtml%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN %2FD277744) He still had an internet site some time ago. Can't find it anywhere now. Had he an agreement with Cruzebike, or was the patent obsolete ? The fact is Cruzebike only, in Southern California, is marketing front wheel drive bikes.
Having no commercial purpose I hav'nt asked to one or the other.

LD stands for Laurent Dechenne, http://les-velos-de- laurent.skynetblogs.be/, who resolutely and endlessly keeps cutting, grinding, welding steel tubing to make the front wheel drive efficient and attractive to the rest of us ! Thanks Laurent and congratulations for your latest "Speculoos" !

Jürgen, I've not included your initials in my designation, as negative trail makes Python different. Hope you don't mind ! Still open, if you want a seat !

So, I'm testing a new TT/--/LD carbon bike. (Carbon vacuumed and baked according to resin supplier specifications.) Still plenty to do for the cosmetics. Capitalizing on my Python's practice (great time, and what fun !), I've radically downsized the handlebar to the minimum. And it suits me ok ; as it worked for Tom Traylor. Funny thing this picture of him I found on the net.

My goals : light, compact, low.
20" wheels.
Steering pivot angle +-57°, positive trail +-8cm.
Length from pin to pin : 1,05m
Mass as it is 11,5kg.

Tested, and shaked, on 600km. Success ! So far holds into pieces ! Keep my eyes and ears wide open for cracks signs or carbon cries. Some, (minor, for me) pedal induced interferences sometimes, but Python's practice has learnt me how to neutralize it. At low speed, no self alignment effect due to weight, as on Python. Lightness of forward part probably helps much to delay wheel flop. When does a real handlebar to hold on become a must ? Depends on one's own habits.

pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/Ghislain.Pillet/ NewAlbum42408438PM

Cordially,
Ghislain.

On Apr 23, 2008, at 2:33 PM, Jürgen Mages wrote:

Hello Ghislain,

you have built a very beautiful bike and I am sure it will find a new owner soon. If I had some extra space I would buy it right now. How about the inseam length of 78 to 88 cm? Is the bottom bracket adjustable?

Hope you will inform us about your new carbon bike soon. You already told me that it will be a TT/Speculoos type lowracer which can be ridden no hands. Such a type of MBB-recumbent is surely better suited for the hilly area of South France than the python.

On 22.04.2008 22:17, Ghislain Pillet wrote:
Hello All !
I'm selling my aluminium python. Interested ? look at
http://www.bentokaz.com/consulter.php? type_equip=0&type_annonce=Vente&ordre=date_pub&desc=1
Why ? building a new carbon bike !
Cheers