[python] Sv: Re: gyro forces

  • From: olaf <noll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:39:55 +0200 (MEST)

----Ursprungligt meddelande----
Från: 25hz@xxxxxxxxxx
Datum: Oct 22, 2005 4:43:08 AM
Till: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ärende: [python] Re: gyro forces

I showed it to two acquaintances that ride penny/farthings and one of
them
said it happened to him, but not as fast or as ugly.  The huge rubber
tire
is solid and stretched to fit over the rim.  They said the tire heats
up on
long, fast downhills because of the frame wobbling badly, and as the
tire
heats up, it doesn't need to stretch much to come off the rim they
said.

It's doubtful gyro forces had much to do with it because, from the
gyro math
page, big diameter + low mass = weak forces.  If anything, it might be
centrifugal force, plus the wobble, that helped the warmed up tire
come off
the rim.

Yes, centrifugal force was what I had in mind while I wrote gyroscopic
force.
Another enigma to solve.

olaf

> If you have high speed service it's not a big deal. Just get it
going and
do
> something else for a while. I really enjoyed it. He *did* have his
feet
over
> the bars. I initially thought he was a weenie and bailed out but in
fact
in