[python] Re: Still learning to charm the snake

  • From: Serge Prinz <prinz_serge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 20:34:34 +0100

Hi Christian,

Pedals with one feet: perhaps it's easier with clicks.
Some had steering Bars some had none. I can't drive without stabilizing the steering with handlebars, and for me it's very important during breaking processes.  I also can't drive without feet on pedals, feet control perhaps 90 % of steering forces but ....  .
Breaking: I find it important to have a front and also a rear brake.
Speed with Python: I learned to have respect for Speed. There is for me some diff Stage"levels" to reach and if you don't control the bike at 20 km/h you will crash it with 30 km/h.
The problem with crashing at 30 km/h is not without (serious) injuries. The thing is that you suddenly lose the control because it goes more quickly, your brain don't know how to react because the body dont know well the situation. Your body has to experience the 30 km/h than later you can training the next "level"(20, 30, 40, ...)
Since a big crash while learning at speed 30-35 km/h i always wear a Helmet (before i never do this) and i also wear elbowprotections.
That's my experience with speed.(Don't try excessive Speeds if you are new)
I learned with gloves (don't have sticks). Driving light Uphill can be helpfull to learn control. It takes me 300 to 500 Kilometers, before i dare to drive in light Traffic.
Knees: don't push to hard the pedals !! if you are not trained, it's possible and its funny, but think that you will have some knee injurys later. (Dirk B. has shortend his cranks to pedal with less Force/ Mouvements and with more RPM.)
Hope this will help (and sorry for my English)

Salut,
Serge

(Birdcage Python) and your posts give me envy to drive, after a long break.

Le 19/03/18 à 15:51, Christian Winkgen a écrit :

I would not say I am in full control. It just grants me control for a certain length of time… :)
Did you try not going straight but leaning into a circle? I found that much easier at first to get a feeling.
And did you try the thing Vi suggested - launching with only one foot up the pedals?
https://youtu.be/m7e1EvvVO30

@all:
I just read a length thread in a German velomobil forum and someone said he disposed the handlebars because he felt that they got the python unstable as soon as he touched them.
I have the same feeling - as soon as I go faster and feel like breaking I almost fall over because the old pattern takes over to try to steer the bike with the handlebars...

So:
Should I get rid of the handlebars and just add a fixed stick to the rear frame?
Who of you has handlebars or uses them?
If you don’t have any - where to put the brake levers?
And how can I practice going downhill or faster?

Cheers,
Christian

Am 19.03.2018 um 11:32 schrieb Karl McCracken <karl.mccracken@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:karl.mccracken@xxxxxxxxxxx>>:

Nice. And oh, how I envy your apparent control of the beast!

Just heading out for another half hour of Not Riding. Yesterday I think I did almost 20m in a straight line without putting hands or feet down...

Get Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/ghei36>