[python] Re: Some newbie questions

  • From: Dirk Bonné <dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:40:00 +0200

Volker Philippent wrote:
> Hello Pythoneers,
>
> last week I worked myself through last year's list archives. As most of
> the construction details have already been discussed (steering pivot
> angle, front/rear suspension, high-speed stability, etc.), I'd still like
> to know wether a long or short wheelbase should be preferred.
>
> Does the wheelbase affect the stability at higher speed (downhill)?

For both questions I do not think we know. On the "big wheel pythons"
the wheelbase is already very large and would be difficult to make smaller.

For small wheel pythons (20" / 16") there is more variation possible but
no comparision has been made until now.
> Or all summed up: is there a "feature matrix" somewhere, some sort of
> overview, where all of the effects influencing the python are listed:
> - pivot angle
> - suspension
> - wheelbase
> - seat position
> - ...
> with effect to
> - steering radius
> - pedalling, acceleration
> - ...?

No there is not.

For steering radius I think it depends on other construction details. In
a previous mail Jürgen mentioned that he has a big turning circle
because the front piece hits the seat.
On my own baby python I have built-in a (aritfical) limit, so when the
my bike stands the cranks do not hit the ground. Still I have a quite
small turning circle, enabling me to U-turn on a small road.
And Jukka with his recent video clip showed that too, even though the
wheels and wheelbase are bigger. He does seem to come nearer to the
ground with his pedals. If I turn like that I still can turn the cranks
(making it easier to balance, and thus allow a thighter turn).