[python] Some Python - Data / Pictures

  • From: Gerald <bepb@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:33:42 +0100

Hi Jürgen, Dear All,
yes, of cause there are pictures - I just hope they will make it through the volume limit. I also added the measurements generally taken for the Project survey. I would be nice if you would include them.

        28" Python -current-       20"_Python
Roll-out        4/2010  2/2011
Pivot-Angle     62,5    62
Trail   33      22
Seat-Height     25      27
BB-Seat         30      31
Ground-Clearance        11      14
Wheelbase       137     90
kg      16,9    13,9
BB-FWA  40      53
Turning-Circle  >6m  1,5
Front Tubing    50x20   50x20
Wheelsize       28 (622)        20 (406)
CG (%)  54      46

Generally the two pythons ride quite different.
The old 28" version is hard to ride if tight corners need to be mastered. But on reasonable strait lanes, it runs just great and really fast. The reason for of the huge turning circle is that the front mudgard touches the Seat very early. This bike sports a rear suspension, but it is a bit different from Jürgens construction.

The 20" version is quite different, as is to expect. The short wheelbase and the fact that the front part goes under the seat while cornering, the front part can bend 90*. In practice, doing some continuous circles of about 2,5m diameter at a rather unreasonable speed - if you don't get thick. Top Speed is 44km/h yesterday, 8th and highest gear and most probable as fast as it can go.
The bike does not have a suspension, but rather thick tires (20" x 1,9).

The measured speeds are, obviously, only short term sprints, not even 200m.

The pivots of the two bikes are quite different. The 28" Python uses industry standard ball bearings. They worked great, had no play - but there problem is rust. After this winter, they are nearly finished.

The 20" Python use standard 1 1/4 head tube bearings.

The front part of the 20" Python actually comes from the sailing python trike I started last autumn. I had postponed the project though the winter but still have the two trike rear parts - one 130cm wide the other 85cm. Maybe it is some kind of python option system bike :-). The two trikes and the bike share the front part as well as the rear wheels. Even for the bike. If you take a close look at the rear wheel, you see the single sided attachment.

The front tubing of 50x20 might sound over sized, but since the material is only standard grade construction Aluminum Alloy (AlMgSi0.5 or something) this is required.

Gerald

On 18.3.11 22:33 , Jürgen Mages wrote:
Thanks Gerald,

while pushing my P3, e.g. through a pedestrian zone, I rarely apply downwards pressure to the back of the seat (which is my handle). It is more like a smooth sidewards shifting to keep the bike on its track.

However, of course, this pushable/rideable rule is just a rule of thumb ...

PS: Any pictures of your specimens available?

Hi Vi, Hi Jürgen, I am not sure about the pushable requirement. Maybe
a python beeing pushable is an indication that the pivot angle is
right, but it seems, just that a python is rideable does not
ensure it is also pushable. I do own two such specimens. Both of
them ride quite nice and I do so in public traffic.

For a python to be pushable, I think, beside having the pivot angle
right you need to be able to put sufficient weight on the pivot
while pushing. If the back of the seat is to far back, you may not
be able to.

Gerald