[python] Re: Self Centering vs. Wheel Flop

  • From: dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:17:51 +0100

Jürgen Mages wrote:
> Hej Dirk,
>
>> In the model it could be better to do the rear part not as trike
>> wheels but instead to fix to the ground over a joint (scharnier)
>> located where normally the rear wheel hub is. That way the bike would
>> not hop around like a mad bull, though the arena scenery is quite
>> fitting for that.
>
> I will make a new model including yours and Stephan's ideas. Sounds
> good.
>
> BTW through the model I realised that it is not the weight of the whole
> front part that favors the wheel flop, but only the weight of the part
> that is NOT rising when the wheel turns. Roughly this is everything in
> front of the line [axle - contact patch].
Yes, Probably better not to give the wheel weight but some extra block
about where the BB is located. There should be two weightpoints: BB and
where the seat is.

Only the distribution (verhältnis) of these weights, and not the
absolute weight should be important though.

Pitty also that the engine cannot do a torus, for the wheels.

>> I have downloaded the SDK for newton, as it should be possible to
>> feed the model programmatically and to extract graph material from
>> that. But I am not sure how much I will be able to play with it. At
>> the moment I am very busy with my job. :-(
>
> There is also ODE (Open Dynamics Engine) which is an open source
> physics engine, but I have no experience with that. I also tried
> the Newton SDK, but gave up due to lack of time and C++ skills.
I have been looking at the tutorials a little yesterday evening. It does
not seem to difficutl (I program c++ on a day to day basis), but it
would take some time to implement it.

groetjes,
Dirk