Thought I'd share some photos..
My Python is pretty much exactly to Jurgen's instructions, including the use if
a 20" fork for the seat back. Unfortunately, when we were welding the hub for
this to the main frame, it all got a bit enthusiastic and the axle ended up
being welded in. This meant that the seat back didn't really move, and the nuts
on the end kept coming loose.
So this weekend I replaced it, but in a way that guaranteed I wouldn't make the
same mistake again. I cut the flange off the new hub, and then roughened its
whole surface. I glued it in place with some basic quick setting epoxy. Then I
filled in gaps & created a smooth overall shape with epoxy putty. Finally, the
whole thing was wrapped in several layers of carbon fibre ribbon, wetted with
a structural epoxy and over-wrapped with PVC tape to compress it while curing.
This method can be used in place of welding in most situations. Things to note
though: make sure the all surfaces are roughened. For joining non-stainless
steel, apply a thin layer of epoxy as an insulator; if bonding aluminium, start
with a layer of glass fibre. These metals will otherwise be susceptible to
galvanic corrosion. Wear gloves, and be very cautious of any loose snips of
carbon fibres - it's nasty stuff for penetrating skin!
This evening was my first ride out beyond our back lane. 5km along the sea
front, with only a few falls - always in front of very concerned / helpful
pedestrians. The problem I need to overcome is my cycling muscle memory - every
time I reach for the brakes it all goes very wrong. :0/ Oh well... Practice.
Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>