[python] Rod end lifetime. was Re: Re: Front hub cranks

  • From: mchannon <mchannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 00:16:38 -0400

Hello pythonauts

At 07:04 PM 5/23/06 +0200, Jurgen wrote in part:
>snip<
>BTW. Recently I wondered about the lifetime of rod-ends
>in a python.
>As you were the first to use them: Any play yet? How much
>km would you estimate their lifetime?
>
>Best regards,
>Jürgen.

No play in the rod ends yet, although it will take a long time for my python
to wear them out.  I build too many different bikes...and don't ride them
enough.

These rod ends served a few years in the front suspension of my homebuilt
race car before being fitted to the python. During that time they were
probably exposed to much more stress than they receive in the python.  I
suspect that their life could be extended even further if a boot was fitted
around the rod end to keep out dust and dirt.  They can also be fitted with
a grease fitting to permit regular greasing.

Regards,

Mike Channon
London, Ontario, Canada