[python] Re: Riding the Python! / Python fahren!

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:11:20 +0200

Hiya Listies,

I have made several tours in the last days (guess with what).

Let me tell you that it really amazes me how the Python project
grows. Thanks to all for your help and encouragement :-)

Now let me answer some of your questions:

> How many other qualified python pilots are there?  I try to guess from
> Jurgens photo gallery how many people have had success at riding his
> python...I guess three or four others.

Besides me (7000 km), I do not know experienced python riders. The
people on the photos have just tried it out for fun. Two of them are
long years riders of center-steered recumbents, and it took them 20 min
to stay upright and make slight turns. An exception of course is Peter
who is on the edge of becoming a save rider. He did not have recumbent
experience at all.
The following learning curve seems to be realistic:

    - first week with 2 hours a day (ability to ride straight after 5 hours)
    - 400 km of practice to feel really save

So the learning takes its time, but in the end it is sure that everybody
can make it, if he is resiliant enough.

> In another post Olaf asked about low speed stability.  My experience
> suggests that low speed stability is good, provided the gear ratio is low
> enough.  I suspect that climbing steep hills is OK with proper gearing.

Low speed stability is extremely good. When walking my dog, I can ride
6 km/h without toggling. With both hands free I can ride even slower
by correcting balance with my fingertips on the ground.
Climbing is fine too, with the proper gearing of course.
Offroad is better, than any other recumbent, I know.

>My inseam is about 80-81 cm, using the book-straddling method. Does
>that mean that my legs are too short for 26" tires? My overall height
>is 1.78 m (5' 10").

Hello Michael, welcome to the list (Welcome to Mark as well!)
84 cm is the minimum I can recommend. Theoretically an inseam of 78 is
possible, but the BB - FW axle distance will be so short that your right
heel collides with the rear derailler and the chainline will be too diagonal
in
some gears. However if you can afford a Rohloff 14 gear SpeedHub, these
problems do not exist.
Hope, that your dream will come true some day.

>Anyone have any experience carrying weight or hauling a bike trailer
>with  a Python?

Last year, I made a 400 km tour with about 30 kg of luggage. A lot
of stuff can be stored behind the seat.

The building of my third python is nearly finished. Tomorrow I will
start the painting and do some fine tuning. Photos and the rest of the
building plan will come soon.

Best regards to all by Jürgen.