[python] Re: Restructuring the Wiki?

  • From: dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:11:03 +0200

Stephan Schöling wrote:
Hi ,

in my opinion its good to be python orientatated with te wiki.
Of course we can look to other open projects or center steered bikes too and collect some related links. But if we leave the "python" path, i'm afraid we produce a information-mess which makes it difficult to find the needed things for homebuilding a special bike.
The pages in the wiki as it is now are very much python related, even those pages that could be generic, like "learning to ride the python". I agree it would be a shame if opening up to other designs would cause the coherence of the weaken. The reorganisation should be careful not to rip the pages apart for the sake of filling up the informational gaps in the other designs. The restructuring should only put a new main page in, and the original mainpage would be reached from the python link on that new main page. The one that does the restructuring (Jürgen?) should not be over- eager and begin to shuffle information around for the sake of generality.

I would be happy to have the openbike opened up to mid steer in generally, this reorganisation is a step in that direction. I have a python, ride it, and am perfectly happy about the bike. And so I would like to move on onto other projects. I imagine that this might be the case for other people too. Opening the openbike wiki for other designs, might establish a community that is in general interested in building mid steer bikes, without being overrun by the mainstream recumbents.

As Benjamin wrote, i would prefer to offer more building details and complete plans to make it easyer to build a bike for everyone.
The problem is to get access to a decent CAD program, to draw these bikes. I'de like to make a drawing of my bike in it's current state, but the I would have to invest much money into a program. I tried looking at free alternatives like blender, but they are IMO not really suited for CAD.

I'de like to see profiles of different seats. I had the chance to try the bike of Ghislain (GP2) a few weeks ago, and I must say that his seat felt much better then the challenge seat I have. (note: the seat that is currently on Ghislains ex-bike is not the one that is depicted on the projects page). Having profiles on different seats together with impressions from the owner would be a great help in building seats.

Dirk