[python] Re : Alternative to Clipless pedals

  • From: Ghislain PILLET <gh.pillet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:35:48 +0100

<x-tad-bigger>Hello All, </x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>
</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>
</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>Jürgen :
- Did you use angular contact ball bearings for the pivot?</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>

Same kind of standard bearing as used by the brazilian python, and Dirk. I took the version liquid and dust proof.

</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>Dirk :
- You think the heel-only part be enough? I could use a simular solution as I have problems with clipless pedals (bad left knee because of accident it hurts when it gets side forces), and I need to be able to move my foot freely to lessen the strain on that knee. To enhance the
movement I could cut the front part away (see pic attached).

</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>Yes Dirk, probably heel only could be enough, howewer I would add an edge to prevent the inside of the foot to interfere with the crank arm, as it does sometimes when moving the foot back in the right position after an unexpected jerk.
The outside longitudinal edge at the heel could be suppressed too probably,and the transversal one at the bottom extended a bit to give more support to the heel. Thus giving freedom to the foot to rotate transversally, if needed.
</x-tad-bigger>

<x-tad-bigger>Bernard Boden,
- CAUTION !
with such pedals you block the rotation of the knee (external rotation with flexion which is clear when you look at the feet of a jogger )
so it looks great but beware of side effects

Jürgen,
- I think you are right. The feet should be allowed some
float on the pedal to avoid knee stress.
Modern clipless pedals allow a certain angular rotation
to prevent knee injuries.</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-bigger>

Bernard, thanks a lot for the point ! Jürgen you seem well informed ! Clipless pedal makers talk of 4° transverse play. I'll modify the plates to allow this transverse rotation of the foot, or of the plate itself.

Ghislain.
</x-tad-bigger>