[python] RWS Python (fwd)

  • From: Pascal Buenzli <pascal.buenzli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:33:21 +0800 (WST)

Hi Vi,

I had seen this one before. The whole blog about this construction can be found there (in french):

http://velorizontal.bbfr.net/t7559-tad-le-znb

In fact, this is not a real pivot, but a trapezoidal mechanism (two nonparallel pivoting bars connected to the rear wheel axis on one end and to the frame on the other end), creating a "virtual pivot point" towards the front. (If the bars are parallel (making a rectangle), the virtual privot point is set to infinity and the rear wheel is just translated (offset to the left or right) without modifying its angle, whereas if the two bars connect to the frame at the same single point (making a triangle), this point is the (now real) pivot. Any configuration in between (making a trapeze) displaces the 'virtual' pivot point in between...) Somebody else has made some 3D graphics and movies about the same (as well as another similar) mechanism: http://oliviercresson.free.fr/s4bc.htm

So actually one might not qualify this as RWS as the effective pivot might actually be located close to the front wheel. As somebody suggests in the blog, though, what might matter for that definition is more the main weight distribution. Debatable and debated...

I also think RWS is in principle a good idea, but it might be tricky to find good configurations for easy rideability (whatever one means with that - the french guy from the video comments that he is the only one so far able to ride his bike. Of course, a matter of training, but also perhaps a 'mother-child' love and determination relationship? :)

I'd be interested in your results should you try to make one of these!
Regards,
Pascal

        * From: Dirk Bonné <dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx>
        * To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        * Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 07:25:52 +0200
The experiment is as follows: hold rear part vertical and turn the front part -> on a python we get seat rise. But if we hold the front part vertical, then turn the rear part, then the seat will lower on a python. On a RWS the bulk of the weight is on the front part, so leaning of the front part on turning will be small (to balance we need to shift weight). So from this assumption there would be no self centering effect on dennis bike (and the cal poly bike it would have). Dirk