[python] Re: RWS

  • From: Lazybee45@xxxxxxx
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:32:50 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/2005 4:19:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
jmages@xxxxxx writes:

Hey,  wish you great success and lots of fun for your
HPV festival in june.  Unfortunately it is too far off
from me.

Thanks!  By the way to all of you, I realize that most of you  CAN'T come,
but I wish you could!  I think my biggest problem is that there  are so many
bike designs, and only so much welding material!  I was at the  "outlaw/art
bike"
show in Iowa City, Iowa on Sunday. (not only the bikes  and people, but the
show itself was "informal" to say the least!) choppers,  lowriders, high bikes,
a really interesting cargo bike, some antique bikes and  my Terra Trike.  The
BEST part was that the city had been over run by  racers.  the Old Capitol
Criterium was being held the same day and it was  vastly fun to see us "ragged
people" rolling around among the skinsuit clad,  lycra wearing buff dudes on
spidery racing bikes.   We ran mostly to  sweatshirts and jeans on our bikes.
and some of the bikes we rode had welds so  fresh they were still smoking! (one
literally!  He came right from the shop  on the bike, with the weld cooling as
he rolled !)Yes I watched a bit of the  races. I like bike races.

I am 51, not a kid.  a couple of the others were also older.  But  many were
20 and about.  I was totally pumped being around such RAW  ENERGY!  Some of
the "designs" were badly executed or badly done or badly  thought out.  But
they
were amazingly cool!  Stretched bikes, tall  bikes, sprung bikes, choppers,
two recumbents and nearly every one of them tried  my trike and exclaimed
"SICK!"  "DUDE!"  "AWESOME" and other things  that I think were approval.

The event was "sponsored" by the "Mayors youth employment program" which  has
a bike shop where they recondition donated bicycles and sell them cheaply to
help finance the operation and give kids without much means a bike that
works.  They also support a handicapped group with some of the  proceeds.  but
this has also become a way for some kids to express  themselves.  Color me
enthusiastic if you want, but it was an interesting  event, and Rich (the
coordinator of the project, he says he is pretty much the  babysitter) wrote me
and said
that he had several of the kids who were at the  event on Sunday appear at
the shop on Monday and want to start building "one of  those sick radical low
rider trikes!"  Not surprisingly, while I had the  "safest" bike there (low,
three wheels, nearly impossible to tip over) i was the  only rider with a
helmet
and nearly the only one with brakes!

mark
come  to the Midwest HPV/ Velomobile conference
June 11/12 2005 Cedar Rapids,  Iowa
_http://garvey.trykekidd.com/velopub.html_
(http://garvey.trykekidd.com/velopub.html)
Shirt  for the conference is at the website  below.

http://www.zazzle.com/products/product/product.asp?general%5Fcategory%5Fid=103
814463239010772&general%5Fproduct%5Ftype=235&caching=on&product%5Fid=235422661
127401285&index=1