[python] Re: Questions from a total newbie

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:00:48 +0100

Actually, I was thinking of moving the rear wheel back and keeping the rider atop the steering pivot, thus moving the CoG forward. This would also free up some space behind the seat to carry stuff (did I mention that I wanted to make it a touring bike?). Sounds like the placement of the rear wheel isn't all that important though, and there's always the possibility of making a rear frame that can be stretched since the rear is very simple.

All right. I implicated that you also want to move the seat backwards. Take care that the wheelbase does not get too long. The turning circle of a lowracer is already big enough.

Well, what I had in mind is a bike where the seat height is constant, only the angle of the main pivot would change. This would involve mounting each half of the pivot bracket (front and rear) on a horizontal pin and controlling their angles together with regard to their respective halves of the frame with set screws, so that the bike's overall geometry wouldn't change. Being my first Python, on one hand you're right, I should keep it simple, but on the other hand, if I implemented something like that (if it's doable at all), I would have room to experiment with the pivot angle without having to make another frame each time.

I see. Something like the adjustable rod end bearings solution of Mike and Tim.

I'll whip up something in Autocad when I have some time and I'll post it here to show you what I mean exactly. It needn't be very complicated, it just needs to be designed properly.

We are always curious about new ideas ;-)

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I appreciate.