[python] Re: Questions from a total newbie

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:22:16 +0100

Bienvenue Pierre,

- I am a heavy guy, about 115Kg / 250lbs : presumably my weight will be an advantage on the Python, as it will strengthen the self-centering effect, right? I suppose I will need something a bit stronger than a bottom bracket or steering column to act as center pivot as well.

Weight sure makes a difference. My experience with 25 kg more luggage on tour: I noticed better downhill stability and a wider turning circle. The pivot made of tapered roller or angular contact ball bearings is clearly superior to the BB solution, regarding endurance, weight and ground clearance.

- Is a Python with a small front wheel, and therefore less negative trail, more stable than with a large wheel?

I never tried small wheels, but the experience of Dirk seems to prove that.

- Does the wheelbase and/or weight distribution affect the stability of the bike, and in what way? in other words, is Python's handling improved or worsened by moving the rear wheel back?

By moving the CoG backwards the traction of the front wheel is reduced. Also the self-centering should be best if the CoG is right above the steering pivot.

- From a purely theoretical point of view, and regardless of the complexity of such a mechanism if it were implemented, do you reckon a Python with a variable pivot angle would be a good idea? I'm thinking of a bike that you could set a steep pivot angle at low speed, and a shallower one at high speed, so that you get a nimble bike in town and a stable one at speed and not have to compromise. I realize it would be rather complicated and heavy, not to mention that it would require an even steeper learning curve, but I'm just toying with ideas at this stage.

Maybe you know the experiments of Andreas Leutz with his airbike and flevobike or the Yellow Submachine of Uwe Carstens. Both can vary the seat height and the pivot angle while riding.

A promising concept, but I fear it will be design-engeneering
overkill. (And I love the simple solutions).