[python] Re: Pythonjetrike

  • From: George Durbridge <gdurbrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 08:28:43 +1100

Dirk,

Probably no use on ice or snow. The normal production tadpole trike with
no tilt mechanism will generate about 0.5g lateral acceleration before
tipping over. Good tyres on a good surface will generate about 0.9 -
1.0g, so we can corner faster (on a good surface) if we can reduce the
tipping moment with a tilt mechanism. (There are other ways to reduce
the tipping moment: Greenspeed built a racing tadpole with the centre of
gravity very low and well forward and a wide track, which slid sideways
at the limit instead of tipping over, using slick tyres on smooth dry
tarmac.) But if the coefficient of friction of the tyres on ice or slush
is less than 0.5g, even the production trike will slide before it tips,
without a tipping mechanism. You can probably produce the same effect by
fitting supermarket tyres.

George